Breaking up with best practices; Hooking up with learning goals

Last weekend* I heard two sentences that sparked one of those great “ah hah!” moments. A writing center director said, “We’ve moved away from best practices and toward learning goals. This helps us prioritize and it helps us evaluate whether we’re accomplishing what we wanted to accomplish.” I’ve talked before about how learning goals keep

Read More…

Heads they win, tails we lose: Discovery tools will never deliver on their promise

A couple of years ago, discovery tools landed on the scene promising technological and pedagogical advances beyond federated search’s wildest dreams. Libraries naturally thought the evolution of these products would take place at least partially in library territory. “Locate, collocate, and advise,” we thought, “We’re all over that game.“1 What we didn’t realize is that

Read More…