I realized it’s been at least 6 years since I last changed the look around here. Websites probably shouldn’t go that long between updates, so take a moment to remember the old, lush Pegasus while you explore the new site.
Every so often, people in online communities turn their attention toward one thing and argue heatedly. Here’s how it generally goes.
- Initial controversial statement (This is usually something that can be interpreted as “You and everything you value? It all sucks.”)
- Initial “Hey, who do you think you are anyway? And by the way, you suck” response.
- Mass internet pile on
- Later, in no particular order
- Sporadic “That controversial statement wasn’t controversial. It’s been said/done/thought since the beginning of time” interjections
- Sporadic “That initial statement was spot on” interjections (mostly ignored or decried)
- Summary blog posts for newcomers to the argument
- Meta blog posts talking about the experience of the argument (ahem, You Are Here)
- Argument is named something catchy (usually a catchy acronym or some reference to Watergate)
- People wax nostalgic about the argument, getting all heated up about it in short bursts
- Argument becomes point of comparison in the next mass internet argument