The seven of us in the Reference & Instruction department are thrilled with the idea that soon we will be eight! Here’s the ad (and here):
Purpose of this Position:
Carleton College seeks an innovative and energetic librarian to join us in our lively and imaginative program of information resources and services. This new full-time position will increase our support of the social sciences from 1.0 FTE to 2.0 FTE. This is an ideal position for an individual who is 1) looking for an opportunity to work in an institution focused on teaching, in collaboration with an unusually fine group of students, faculty, and colleagues; 2) committed to excellence in teaching; and 3) deeply rooted in and excited about a social sciences discipline. The Reference and Instruction Librarian for the Social Sciences will report to the Head of Reference and Instruction.
- Work closely with current liaison to expand support to faculty and students in social sciences. See: http://www.carleton.edu/campus/library/reference/liaisons.html.
- Assist in information literacy planning, teaching, development, and instruction.
- Participate in a well-utilized individual student appointment model.
- Participate in our Research/IT desk service.
All members of the team participate in campus initiatives and faculty development presentations, evening and weekend reference rotation, and reference collection development. Liaisons also work together on user guide design and development, production of handouts and publications, and quirky publicity activities. We are committed to collaborating with IT and other academic support units.
Carleton College is a highly selective, residential, liberal arts college located about 45 miles south of Minneapolis and St. Paul. The Gould Library (http://www.carleton.edu/campus/library) strongly encourages and supports professional development, initiative, and imaginative approaches to information services. We place a high value on a solid grounding in the world of books and scholarly information.
- ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent.
- Strong service orientation, initiative, and flexibility.
- The desire and ability to work both independently and as a part of a collaborative, decision-making team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Strong teaching skills.
- Academic library experience, including reference and teaching experience.
- Strong interest in, knowledge, or experience in assessing user needs.
- Intrigued by uses of social software in libraries.
- Advanced degree in the social sciences.
If interested, please send a letter of interest (including where you learned about this position), résumé, and three references complete with address, email, and phone numbers to Carleton College, Human Resources, One North College Street, Northfield, MN 55057. Application review begins October 22, 2007, and continues until the position is filled. Visit our web site at www.carleton.edu. Carleton College is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity.
“Social Sciences” at our school means Economics, Education, International Relations, Political Economy, Political Science, and Sociology & Anthropology (a dual department here).
So… who wants to come work with me?